Thursday, September 2, 2010

Dawes - Contemporary Laurel Canyon Folk Rock




Dawes - That Western Skyline

Anyone checking out Sugartown can easily see that my tastes run towards rock music as it was made in the '60s and'70s. Not all that many bands these days are riding that particular musical train. So although there are not a whole lot of contemporary bands that really do it for me, I like to highlight the ones that do grab me. I definitely have an appreciation for the Laurel Canyon sound of the late '60s, being a big fan of Gram Parsons, Buffalo Springfield, Joni Mitchell, Chris Hillman, etc., and mellow Southern California rootsy folk rockers Dawes seem to be right up that alley. I'm not sure I'm completely won over by all their music (its a little too laid back for my tastes and could stand a little bit more rock), but their song That Western Skyline (video in link above) definitely got my attention. Songwriting has to be really strong for me to get excited with music from this genre and I think they've hit one out of the park on this particular song. Lyrics and lead vocals by Taylor Goldsmith (sounding a little bit like Stephen Stills) are particularly strong and the music achieves a bittersweet vibe nicely, starting out gentle and soft and gradually building to a good crescendo, giving the earnest emotions a bit of dynamic ebb and flow. Good stuff. Check out more at:

http://dawestheband.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

  1. I really like their song "When my time comes" - it rocks a little more. They are coming to town for ACL and playing an after party with Lissie that I might check out at Emo's. Always goodo to see bands in the small clubs a nd not the field that is ACL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check out that track. Thanks for the heads up, Dale. Let us know how you like the show. My buddy D-Bone is going to see Dawes tonight on a harbor cruise in San Diego. Hopefully he'll have a report for us, too.

    ReplyDelete